Another frequently asked question. So we’ll walk you through on how to remove messages from appearing inside your Buddy Update box in the AIM Buddy Info.
Please note that it can take 5 days for buddy updates to disappear from the box.
Buddy updates are controlled through two locations. One is within Aim 6.8 and another is located at its own special website. If you use Aim 6.9 you’ll need to perform both methods. If you don’t use Aim 6.9 you just have to perform the first method.
Method 1: Buddy Updates Website
- Head over to http://buddyupdates.aim.com
- Sign In and Click Setup
On the Right side you will see a heading that says “Sites that you already have.” You need to click delete under everything that is listed there. Remember that it takes 5 days for buddy info updates to disappear.
Once your done the box will no longer appear as long as you do not alter your status message. However there are other programs that alter the status messages.
Method 2: Aim 6.9 Plugins
In Aim 6.9, plugins can trigger your buddy info updates in several different ways:
- If you install Aim 6.9 for the first time.
- If you install a new plugin.
- If a plugin changes status message for you, e.g. AIM Music Link
Aim 6.9 luckily has privacy settings for plugins. Some plugins like AIM Music Link, has its own built in settings that need to be disabled in order for this to work. Follow these steps to ensure status messages are not updated:
- Open Aim 6.9
- Click Edit.
- Click Settings
- Click Privacy
- Uncheck “I have updated my profiles or blogs”
- Uncheck “I have installed a new AIM Plugin”
Method 2b: Aim Music Link Status
- Open Aim 6.9
- Click View > Plugins
- Click Aim Music Link Preferences
- Uncheck Share Music with your Buddies.
- Click OK.
So again, as long as you don’t update your status, your buddy info updates box will disappear after 5 days of the last update message.
If you need further help please comment below with your AIM screen name, or type your “AIM” email address in the mail section of the comment form.
- Deleting an AIM or AOL Screen Name Account
- What is AOL Lifestream? How to Use it or Remove it?
- Facebook Groups showing up in News Feed (Facebook Privacy Issue)
- More Myspace Phishing Attempts with MyspaceTV
- The Sims 3: Stuck with Low Moods; Miserable after Latest Patch Workaround
- Stop Quicktime from Playing Mp3 In Internet Explorer
- The Sims 3: The Road to Sunset Valley